Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Daring Bakers: Nanaimo Bars


The January 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Nanaimo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.nanaimo.ca.

These ought to have been easy, right? Believe it or not, I messed up every layer! First, I didn't make my own graham crackers. We were supposed to make them gluten free, and I really wanted to do it, but as I don't bake gluten free at all, I couldn't justify buy expensive flours I would never use again. And I'm lazy, it was easier to just use graham crackers from the cupboard.

Second, I followed the recipe exactly for the second layer, but the texture was like sand. I had to add more cream, but when the mixture was finally soft, it was also starting to separate.

Third, I ruined two batches of chocolate (death by seizing) before giving in and making a cream ganache topping (instead of mixing the chocolate with butter.)

See, all these things should not have been so difficult. This is why I make souffle, not chocolate chip cookies.

They are pretty sweet, lots of sugar, but I took them to work the next day and all my students and professors loved them! Great challenge!

7 comments:

fairy_mi said...

yummmm, your nanaimo bars version looks really great!
Love the presentation
Great job!
Inbal
(also a DB)

WonderKitty said...

They look great. I have a good friend at work that has celiac's so I always notice stuff thats gluten free. Though, I understand about not buying all the weird stuff.

Rachel said...

Great job on the challenge..beautifully plated.

Talina said...

Those look delicious!
I like how you said that they were really sweet with lots of sugar like that is a BAD thing.
You know how much I love it when you bake with chocolate ;)

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

I'm so sorry you had so much trouble with the layers--but your bars look delicious despite your experiences. You need to try the homemade graham crackers--I couldn't believe how awesome they tasted! :)

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Beautiful job on your Nanaimo Bars!

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

Candice said...

Supposed to make homemade graham crackers? Wow, you daring bakers are an impressive group! Looks delicious of course :)